My-gene-diet / Genes and Diet

Genes and Diet

My-gene-diet

The answers lie in your genes

Remarkable advances in science have resulted in the whole of the human genome being sequenced and variations in our genes being analysed. Research groups around the world are explaining how variations in our genes influence our lives and our health. They are also explaining why so many of us find it difficult to manage our weight and to maintain a healthy weight.

My-gene-diet now offers tests on the gene variations which have the greatest impact on diet, exercise and weight management. With just a swab sample from your mouth we can recommend the diet type which is likely to work best for you. We can also recommend the type of exercise you are most suited to - sprint and power or endurance.

My-gene-diet uses patented Danish technology for effective and reliable gene analysis.

What makes us all so different?

The blueprint for our body, its function, and our appearance is held in our genes, a copy of which is occurs in almost every cell in our body. We have two copies of each gene, one from each of our parents. Overall we humans have about 20,000 genes which are almost identical from person to person. But there are small differences which can have a big impact on our body. The most usual type of variation is SNPs (single nucleotide polymorphisms). A particular SNP in a gene occurs in a small proportion of the population. Each of us has thousands of these SNP variations which explain many of the differences between individuals.

The way in which our genes work and are expressed is also influenced by our environment and by the food we eat. This interplay between our genetic variation and our diet is studied in the relatively new science of Nutrigenomics.

The My-gene-diet test analyses the SNP variations most relevant to diet and exercise.

One diet fits all?

We are showered with advice and claims about what type of diet works best for us, but it all assumes that we are all the same. BUT our genes are different, our food choices are different and our eating behaviour is different. Many of us spend a lot of time, energy and money battling with our weight, often without success. So it makes sense to use the latest scientific findings to ensure the best results.

Avoid the effort, expense and disappointments of using the wrong diet. My-gene-diet unlocks the secret of what works best for you.

Underlying Science

The key study relating successful weight loss to gene variation was carried out at Stanford University in the USA in 2010. It analysed the relationship between gene variation and diet success in 133 women who had been on four types of diet (low carbohydrate or low fat). The women who had been on the appropriate diet for their genetic variations lost 5.2% of their bodyweight whereas those who were not on an appropriate diet according to their genes lost 2.3%.

My-gene-diet has carefully selected eleven variations in six genes because:

  • They are common in the population.
  • Their effects on body weight in relation to diet and/or exercise are well established.

My-gene-diet uses proprietary computer analysis to find the best advice for each customer.

Reference

Dr Mindy Dopler et al, Stanford University School of Medicine. "Genotype Patterns Predict Weight Loss Success: The Right Diet Does Matter" Presented at the American Heart Association's Joint 50th Cardiovascular Disease Epidemiology and Prevention - and - Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism conference, San Francisco, CA. March 2010.

Variations in the FTO gene, which codes for 'fat mass and obesity-related protein' are common and have a big impact on body weight. 16% of us have a double variation in this gene which increases the chance of being seriously overweight by 70%. Almost half of us have a single variation which increases the chance of being seriously overweight by 30%. Recent studies have shown that FTO variations increase blood level of the hunger hormone ghrelin and makes dieting especially difficult. It has also been shown that those with FTO variations crave high fat and sweet items, even soon after a meal.

Reference

Karra, E et al. 'A link between FTO, ghrelin and impaired brain food-cue responsivity.' J Clin Invest. 123, 3539-3551, 2013.

Extensive Science

Download Wissenschaftliche Artikel Genvital